Established: circa 1800
Current Status: Active
Original Township: Norton
Directions: On the East side of Medina Line Road, North of Greenwich Road
Contact: Norton Park & Cemetery Board
4060 Columbia Woods Drive
Norton, Ohio 44203
History: By the 1940s this cemetery had become a tangle of weeds and grass that nearly obscured the headstones. By the 1950s, Norton Township officials had begun to clear the area in preparation for expansion of the cemetery. In 2009-10 this cemetery underwent another round of restorations. The many stones were reset and restored, the grounds were cleared, a new fence and gardens went in with the help of many from the community. Today, it is the only active cemetery maintained by the City of Norton. Several veterans of the American Revolution, the War of 1812, and the Civil War are buried here.
Chapter Publications: Gravestone inscriptions have been published in our 1978 book "Summit County Cemetery Inscriptions Vol 1". The original volume is available in the Special Collections Dept. of the Akron-Summit County Public Library (Main Branch) as well as many other local libraries.
This cemetery has now been updated and the inscription readings were released in 2009 in the "Norton Township Cemeteries" book, currently available for purchase.
The Summit County Chapter, OGS, is always looking for new information on our county's lost or forgotten cemeteries. If you have questions or information on this cemetery please contact the Cemetery Chairperson.